Dr. Jason Jones: Registered Psychologist in Edmonton
Dr. Jason Jones
Dr. Jason Jones
Director | Registered Psychologist | Certified Sex Therapist
For as long as Jason can remember, he was always passionately curious about the world and the nature of human relationships. He was fascinated by their complexity and how integral they are to our lives. His search for truth led him to study human sexuality, obesity, and family dynamics during separation and divorce. He found that they all have the common thread of the importance of relationships. He was drawn to practice counselling psychology to effect real change by focusing on talking to people, learning from them, and being on the front line of effecting change for individuals, couples and families.
Jason completed a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Psychology degree at NorthCentral University. He has also completed a Master of Counselling degree at the University of Calgary and a Bachelors of Science (with Honors in Psychology) degree at the University of Alberta. He has also attended numerous post-graduate certifications and workshops related to sex therapy, couples counselling, family therapy, and weight management. He is a Certified Sex Therapist and Certified Sex Therapy Supervisor with the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT).
Health and wellness must be addressed on a holistic basis that focuses on the whole person, including their relationships, cultures, and contextual experiences. Jason seeks to treat individuals, couples and families with a focus on the whole system that they exist in. Jason does not believe in pathologizing behaviour, as all behaviour can be understood within a systemic and cultural frame. He believes that health is about physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual experiences within our minds and bodies, and between individuals.
Jason has been a Registered Psychologist since 2012 and founded Loving Choices Psychology in 2017 to serve individuals, couples and families in navigating challenging and sensitive issues in life with warmth and compassion. His vision is to create a safe space for expert counsellors to offer support and provide tools to help people live happier lives.
Dr. Jason Jones is one of only two Certified Sex Therapists and Supervisors of Sex Therapy in Edmonton. He’s a member of the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counsellors, and Therapists (AASECT). AASECT is the international organization that credentials sexual health professionals on the basis of rigorous standards for academic preparation, supervised training and consultation, field-related experience and applied skills.
- Presented a full-day workshop entitled “Doing Sex Therapy in EFT” in Edmonton in 2018 and 2019
- Presented “Let’s Talk About Sex Therapy: Working with Diverse Communities” at the Western Canadian Conference on Sexual Health in Edmonton in 2018
- Presented “Let’s Talk About Sex Therapy” at the Western Canadian Conference on Sexual Health in Calgary in 2016
- Presented “Censor Yourself” at “Understanding Cyber-violence and Youth Victimization: Many Voices, Many Paths” Conference in Edmonton in 2011
- Testified in Alberta Court proceedings related to sexuality and trauma
- Worked with Saffron Sexual Assault Centre in individual and group therapy sessions
- Worked with adolescent sex offenders at Alberta Health Services
- Member of the Society for Sex Therapy and Research (SSTAR)
- Member of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS)
- Member of the Alberta Society for the Promotions of Sexual health (ASPSH)
- Member of the Alberta Council of Professionals for Sexual Health (ACPSH)
Dr. Jason Jones has been trained in the Gottman Methods and Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT).
- Completed Emotionally Focused Therapy Externship in New York with Sue Johnson and George Faller in 2014
- Completed Emotionally Focused Core Skills training with Gail Palmer and Marlene Best in 2017
- Completed Levels 1 and 2 of Gottman Method training with John Gottman and Julie Schwartz-Gottman in 2013
- Member of the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- Member of Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) Edmonton
Dr. Jason Jones has been declared a “Parenting Expert” by the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and Provincial Court of Alberta, and has testified as an expert witness in child custody cases. He’s been interviewed on numerous media channels for his expertise, such as CBC, City TV, Global News, Edmonton Journal, and National Post. He’s a member of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC) Alberta Chapter, which is the primary international association for professionals working with families and Courts.
- Completed Recognizing and Responding Safely to Family Violence: Approaches for the Family Law Setting workshop in 2020
- Completed Assessment of Child Maltreatment in Parenting Disputes: Principles and Approaches to Good Practice workshop in 2020
- Completed the Hearts and Minds of Working with Families in High Conflict: Stuck in High Conflict webinar with Dr. Michael Saini in 2020
- Completed training on International Abduction in Child Custody cases with AFCC in 2019
- Completed Overcoming Barriers training with High Conflict Coparenting: Interventions for Children’s Alignment and Resistance course and Children who Resist Post-Separation Contact with a Parent: for Legal and Mental Health Professionals working in Family Law workshop in 2018
- Completed Voice of the Child training with AFCC-Alberta Chapter workshop, which included training on interviewing children for court purposes in 2018
- Experience in Practice Note 7s Assessments (Voice of the Child, Parenting Assessment, Triage) and Interventions (Family Reunification, Therapy involving child contact problems and co-parenting)
- Completed training for High Conflict Co-parenting: Interventions for children’s alignment and resistance from William James College
- Completed Mediation of Family & Divorce Conflicts 40-hour training from the Legal Education Society of Alberta (LESA)
- Completed Mediation for Personality Disordered Clients workshop from Bill Eddy and AFCC in 2018
- Completed Structured Analysis Family Evaluation (SAFE) training for evaluating applicants for fostering and adoption
- Completed dozens of Parenting Assessments for Children and Family Services to evaluate parental risk factors in caring for children
- Expert Witness on evaluating family dynamics, Voice of Child report and child psychology, and providing professional clinical opinions at Provincial Court of Alberta
- Appeared on City TV’s parenting panel regularly in 2016-2017
- Member of Risk Management Group AFCC-AB Chapter
Dr. Jason Jones has presented at numerous conferences on the health conditions associated with weight, including the Canadian Obesity Summit and the Calgary Pain Conference.
- Holds a Post-Graduate Certification in Obesity Management from the University of Alberta
- Presented “Obesity as an Addiction” at the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity Conference in Montreal in 2014
- Presented “Mental Health Issues Surrounding Weight Regain after Bariatric Surgery” at Obesity and Mental Health Conference in Toronto in 2014
- Appeared on Breakfast Television on City TV Edmonton as expert on addictions in 2014
- Appeared on Global TV News as expert on eating disorders in 2015
- Quoted in National Post and Edmonton Journal on mental health and bariatric surgery in 2015
- Written for Wellness Magazine
- Former Manager at the Edmonton Adult Bariatric Speciality Clinic with Alberta Health Services
- Worked with Femme/Homme Medical Services developing their weight management program
- Member of the Canadian Obesity Network (CON)
- Member of the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity (IFSO)